Review the following video, accident report, and FAA resource:
- Chalks Ocean Airways Flight 101 Crash Animation (1:22/YouTube) (Links to an external site.)
- In-flight Separation of Right Wing Flying Boat, Inc. (doing business as Chalk’s Ocean Airways) Flight 101 Grumman Turbo Mallard (G-73T), N2969 Port of Miami, Florida December 19, 2005 (PDF)/NTSB (Links to an external site.)
- Airworthiness Directives (ADs)/FAA (Links to an external site.)
Using information from the resources in the Review section and the scheduled maintenance regulations from the readings in the last activity, consider the possibility that you are in a position to recommend improvements and develop an Airworthiness Directive (AD) to prevent this incident from reoccurring again. Only AD Supplementary Information is required, which includes discussion, comments, and conclusions. Think about aspects such as environmental, safety and security guidelines, or impacts that may not be addressed in the regulation now:
- Discuss what happened during Chalk’s Flight 101 and the maintenance failures that lead to the wing separation.
- Discuss steps that could have been taken that could have prevented this aircraft accident.