Public health communication is rooted in diverse theories and models. Common theories in health promotion and health communication derive from psychology, sociology, and traditional communication. Theories and models are used to explain, predict, and interpret behavior as well as plan and evaluate public health programs and campaigns.
In this module, you will review several of the most commonly used health behavior models and health communication theories, and how they apply to health communication practice.
The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate an understanding of health behavior models and theories, and apply them in designing health communication programs. You will also discuss why planning a health communication campaign requires a clear theoretical model.
Using the readings for this module, the online library resources, and the Internet, respond to the following:
- Examine and comment on the various factors that influence health behavior.
- Identify and comment on the main benefit of using theoretical models and planning frameworks in health communication.
- Select one theory or model addressed in the textbook readings for the module, and then discuss which communication theories or models are best suited to specific health behavior education. Consider the following factors:
- Health characteristics and health literacy of the audience
- Message content
- Effectiveness of communication channels
Support your statements with examples and scholarly references.
Write your initial response in 3–4 paragraphs. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.