Response to Two Classmates Due Sunday, 11:59pm
This week we are discussing the readings from last week in group. Please answer the following questions for both readings: Thurston & Vargas. Please, use your worksheets on the readings to help answer the questions.
- What kind of stories is the author sharing?
- Why do you think he or she chose to share those specific stories? What is his or her purpose?
- What do you think is the result of the author being so open about those experiences? What is your reaction to reading those specific stories in the moment? What do you feel as you read them? (Particularly focus on what makes those stories effective or not effective compared to others.) Which article was more effective to you and why?
- What is the author’s main argument?
- What are two pieces of support that help prove the author’s main argument?
- What intrigued you the most about the article? Did you enjoy reading it or not? Why or why not did you enjoy reading it?
- For Vargas, do you think he did the right thing by keeping quiet about his immigration status? Our immigration system in the United States is broken. Where do you think the problem is concerting this piece? Is it with the system itself, Vargas’s parents and grandparents who brought him over as a child. Reading this piece, did your opinion about undocumented immigrants change?
- For Thurston, have you had any experience with someone butchering your name? How did it make you feel? Did you feel the urge to correct them immediately or did you stay quiet?