“Professional Format and Style”
How you do anything is how you do everything. – T. Harv Eker (from Secrets of the Millionaire Mind)
This course is a mixture of learning a new format (business style) and adapting your English language skills to a different audience. Business communication relies equally on format (how you communicate) and content (what you say).
Respond to ONE of the following:
- Discuss the Eker quote as it pertains to your professional experience and the material for Week 2
- Find a quality resource that discusses the importance of format OR find a quality support that proves format does not matter in the context of the professional environment.
Slowing Down Global Warming
Reputable scientific studies continue to show that the earth is warming at an unsustainable rate because of a rise in the release of carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrous oxide (N2O), and methane (CH4) gases. How would the continued increase of these gases affect day-to-day living across the globe? Review the posts of your classmates and respond to at least one other post.
America’s Industrial Revolution transformed all sectors of the economy and changed society. In the text (Chapter 17 p. 310-317), some of the business practices of the late 1800s and early 1900s are described. There are pros and cons to these developments. On one hand, they streamlined costs and made goods and new products available to many more consumers. But, there were also consequences—some unintended.
Choose one of these two new problems introduced by the American Industrial Revolution.
- The development of monopolies instead of a competitive business market.
- Unsafe and oppressive work conditions.
Then, in a full paragraph or two:
- Identify your chosen problem.
- Discuss a specific example from that period that clearly illustrates the chosen problem and a negative consequence of it. What did the government do about this—and what should it have done?
- Identify a similar problem or example that exists in the USA today.
- Identify the source(s) where you read about the problem.
“The Media and Race”
- Debate It – Take a position on this statement: Representation of race in the media affects our perceptions of individuals. Support your views with one or two reasons and / or examples. (Cite any sources you referenced.)
MAKE SURE ALL 4 DISCUSSIONS ARE DETAILED!