Global Travel Film—Week 6
South Asia, East Asia, Southeast Asia and the Austral and Pacific Realms
Reminder: For your Course Project, imagine that you are developing a global travel film. In this scenario, you are a researcher on the script writing team, traveling with the location scouts.
This week you will complete Sections 4 and 5 of your Course Project. Section 4 will cover South Asia and East Asia. Section 5 will cover Southeast Asia and the Austral and Pacific Realms.
Each section of your Course Project will have a special theme. The theme for Section 4 is the influence of economic growth, trade, and urban development. The theme for Section 5 is the influence of the oceans and the fragmented landscape on human activities.
- Read Chapters 8-9 on South Asia and East Asia in The World Today.
- Read Chapters 10, 11, and 12 on Southeast Asia and the Pacific and Austral realms in The World Today.
Your recommendations to the script writing team need to include the following:
- Locations to film and highlight that illustrate the special themes for the week:
- South Asia and East Asia: Influence of economic growth, trade, and urban development
- Southeast Asia and the Austral and Pacific Realms: Influence of the oceans and the fragmented landscape on human activities
- For each realm, pick at least one specific location that illustrates the special theme for each section. Write up your recommendations for the script writing team, sharing specific reasons why each location is interesting, compelling, or important. Be sure to relate each location to the special themes for the week.
- For each realm, include a map that clearly identifies each of your locations. You may want to use color coding or a legend. Google Maps has several helpful editing tools that you can use to create your maps and identify your locations.
- For each realm, include at least two representative screen shots from Google Street View that relate to each of your chosen locations. If Street View images aren’t available, find some other visual images. For quick tips on how to create screen shots, see the document Creating Screen Shots in the Week 1 Resources area.
Your completed Assignment for Sections 4 and 5 should be 4–6 pages (Section 4: South Asia and East Asia—2–3 pages; Section 5: Southeast Asia and the Austral and Pacific Realms—2–3 pages). Each section should include a map and 2 or more images (not included in page estimate).
Finally, collect and organize all 5 sections of your Course Project into one document. Add a brief introduction and conclusion for your final submission.