Prejudice is a negative opinion or attitude about someone based on gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, and so on. Discrimination is negative behavior toward others based on their membership in a group. In this assignment, you will identify and discuss factors that contribute to prejudice and discrimination.
- Identify factors that influence the development of prejudice and discrimination.
- Describe how people form opinions of others and respond to others’ opinions of them.
- Analyze how to explain one’s own behavior and the behavior of others.
- Describe conformity, obedience, compliance, group influence, attitude, and attitude change.
Instructions: Step 1: Watch the following video:
Race, Racism, Prejudice and Discrimination – What are they?
Step 2: Reflect on the video.
You may also want to review the week’s assigned reading. Consider the following prompts:
- What are racism, prejudice, and discrimination?
- What factors contribute to racism, prejudice, and discrimination?
- Identify some techniques for reducing the development of prejudice and discrimination.
- Is discrimination and prejudice increasing or decreasing? Support your answer.
Step 3: Write a three-to-five page summary.
Summarize your thoughts about the video and answer the questions from Step 2 in a three to five page summary.