Introduction and Alignment
In this activity, you will write a paper based on HIPAA statutes and rules that directly impact HIT. The HIPAA Administrative Simplification Statute and Rules discusses standardization applied to healthcare data. The HIPAA Privacy Rule defines the people and organizations to whom the rule applies, what information is protected, and disclosure of the information. The HIPAA Security Rule describes the safeguards needed to ensure the protection of healthcare data and covered persons as defined under HIPAA.
Upon completion of this assignment, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate HIPAA’s administrative simplification provisions.
- Examine the technical safeguards of the HIPAA Security Rule and demonstrate how they are applied.
- Textbook: Information Systems for Healthcare Management
- Website: HIPAA Administrative Simplification Statute and Rules
- Website: Summary of HIPAA Security Rule
- Website: Summary of HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Website: OCLS Library
- Website: HIPAA Quiz (Optional)
This assignment will assess you on the HIPAA Administrative Simplification Statute and Rules, the HIPAA Security Rule, and the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
- Read the “HIPAA Administrative Simplification Statute and Rules” at http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/administrative/index.html.
- Review the links to each rule.
- Select one of the eight major components on page 58 of your textbook, Information Systems for Healthcare Management.
- Choose a rule from the Simplification Statute.
- Discuss the features of a health information system related to this rule, or give an example of a health information transaction that would be applicable to your chosen area.
- Read the “Summary of the HIPAA Security Rule” at http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/srsummary.html.
- Conduct further research on one of the safeguards.
- Explain why it would be important for a health information professional to be familiar with your chosen safeguard.
- Find the “Summary of the HIPAA Privacy Rule” at http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/index.html.
- Read the following sections:
- Who Is Covered by the Privacy Rule
- What Information Is Protected
- General Principle for Uses and Disclosures
- Enforcement and Penalties for Noncompliance
- Briefly explain the basic principle behind the Privacy Rule.
- Read the following sections:
- Write one research paper addressing each point above (1–3). Format your paper according to APA style (6th edition).
- A reference list is required, but a cover page is not.
- The content of the paper should be two to four pages in length.
- Provide at least one resource from a peer-reviewed journal.
- You can use the resources provided and/or the OCLS Library (https://oak.indwes.edu/).
- Be sure to title the document, “Workshop Two HIPAA Statutes and Rules Research Paper.”
- When you’ve completed your assignment, save a copy for yourself and submit a copy to your instructor using the Dropbox by the end of the workshop.
- OPTIONAL: You can test your knowledge of HIPAA by completing the online quiz at http://hitnots.com/hipaa-quiz/.