Primary Discussion Response is due by Friday (11:59:59pm Central), Peer Responses are due by Tuesday (11:59:59pm Central).
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your research. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. To maximize your learning, select peers who researched articles or topics different from the one you researched. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Science in the News
Now that you have been learning about science, you may have noticed news articles or online videos on various scientific topics. Science is all around you.
Select a news article on a scientific discovery or achievement. This could be the discovery of a new planet or star, a new medical treatment, new findings concerning climate change, or countless other possibilities. If you are not sure where to find a news article, try looking on the Web page for your favorite news source, or use a search engine to look for a specific topic of interest. After selecting a news article and reading it carefully, complete the following:
- Provide a brief summary of the article.
- What interested you about the topic?
- Do you agree or support the discovery or activity presented in your article? Why or why not?
- Did the author provide references and supporting facts in this article, or were you expected to just accept the findings without support?
- When reading about science, how important do you feel sources and references are in accepting the findings that are presented?
Peer Responses: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Discussion Response. Answer the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- Do you read news from your peer’s news source often? Why or why not?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.
Assignment Specific Grading Criteria
Unit 3 Discussion Board Grading CriteriaMax PointsInitial post includes a one paragraph summary of a science related article.15Initial post includes information about why the student was interested in the topic.15Initial post includes the student’s level of support for the discovery or activity presented in their article, with details on why or why not.15Initial post includes a reflection on the article’s references and supporting facts (or lack there of) in their selected article.10Initial post contains a paragraph on the importance of references and sources in accepting the findings of science articles directed at the general public; with consideration of the impact that the internet (blogs, social media, Wikipedia, YouTube…) presents in distinguishing science from science fiction.10Includes at least 2 follow-up responses to peers.10Peer responses add new depth or insight to the current conversation and encourage further conversation.20Uses proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar to write clearly and effectively. References, if provided, are in APA format.5Total:100