You now need to write a script for user maintenance. Write a script that will perform the following tasks:
- Prompt the system administrator for all valid input parameters
- Generate a menu to ask which task is needed to be performed
- Create a UNIX group
- Drop a UNIX group
- Create a user
- Drop a user
Note that as part of the Create User section, a UNIX group many be identified that does not already exist, so that group will need to be created as part of the process.
A third script that you need to write will kill all of the processes associated with a user. The following are the requirements:
- Prompt the system administrator for the target user name
- List the running processes for that user
- Confirm with the system administrator before killing the processes
- Kill the processes after confirmation
It is very important to note with this task that you should only kill processes for a user and his or her running processes; do not arbitrarily kill running daemons.
- Include a discussion about the difference between user processes and daemons.
- What are daemons, and what are they used for?
- What are the consequences of killing a daemon using this script?
- Add the 2 scripts and the discussion about daemons to the project template section “UNIX Processes.”