Discussion #4 Respiratory system
8989 unread replies.8989 replies.
A. A 28-year-old man is infertile because of immotile sperm. This condition affects all ciliated structures within the body.
Which of the following statements about this man are most likely true?
1. He is at risk for the development of emphysema with destruction of alveoli and septa and the formation of large air spaces.
2. He is at risk for abnormalities in immune defense in association with changes in mucociliary transport resulting in mucus retention and secondary infection.
3. He is at no greater risk for lung disease than are other individuals his age.
4. He is at risk for localized lung disease because of a localized abnormality in the structure of his lung.
B. A 75-year-old man complains of shortness of breath with activities of daily living. He has smoked one pack of cigarettes per day for the past 55 years. He has a barrel chest and breath sounds are distant, especially over the apices. His FVC, FEV1, and FEV1/FVC are markedly reduced with a significant elevation in the RV/TLC due to a marked increase in RV. His diffusion capacity for carbon monoxide (DLCO) is reduced.
What lung disease does this man most likely have?
2. Chronic bronchitis
4. Pulmonary fibrosis
5. Respiratory distress syndrome
For both questions, please explain briefly about each option, which one is correct and why. Why the other options are incorrect.
Your response must be between 400 to 500 words.