AHS6640 Wilmington University week 6 Human Rights in US assignment
Week 6 Case Study
Prepare a 2-3 page paper persuasive paper addressing the task below. You may format your position using a bulleted list, paragraphs, or a combination of both.
1. Review the history of human rights, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the US Bill of Rights.
2. Complete the “Comparing Rights” activity:
- Consider the following question:
- How does legislation and social policy development affect human service delivery?
- In developing your answer, think about the following:
- Do US citizens have any rights besides those included in the Bill of Rights and Amendments, Constitution, and other US law? Explain.
- Should the Bill of Rights and Amendments be more inclusive? Why or why not? What rights, if any, would you add? For example, should Americans be guaranteed the right to food, shelter, education, and health?
- How do you explain why some social, economic, and cultural rights found in the UDHR are not guaranteed by the American documents?
3. Choose a side:
In your opinion, what should be the limits and responsibilities of government in guaranteeing their citizens certain rights? For example, is hunger or homelessness a government’s responsibility?
- Issues like hunger and homelessness are not the government’s responsibility.
- Issues like hunger and homelessness are the government’s responsibility.
4. Explain your choice.
- What are the strengths and weaknesses associated with your choice? (Funding, agency influence, policies, politics?)
For further guidelines on your paper, refer to the Debate Rubric