For this Portfolio Project paper, you will choose two leaders, one male and one female. These two leaders do not need to be from the same organization. One leader should be what you would consider “effective and successful” and the other should be what you would consider “ineffective and unsuccessful.”
Compare these two leaders regarding their leadership characteristics, use of power and influence, and how these relate to their effectiveness or lack of effectiveness within their respective organization
The entire portfolio project is worth 35% of your overall grade for this course. Make sure to use research to back up your statements within the paper. You will need to address each of the following as they relate to your two leaders. Each element is worth equal value.
- A brief background and organizational framework for each leader, including job title and general description, industry in which they work, number of subordinates they supervise, and their leadership level within the organization (lower level, middle level, executive level)
- A comparison of the techniques used by each leader to gain power in his or her role within the organization
- A comparison of how subordinates relate to each leader, including how much influence the subordinates have on each leader
- An analysis of how each leader uses influence to change the behavior of other leaders, co-workers, and subordinates within the organization
- A comparison of the techniques used by each leader to influence employee motivation
- An analysis of self-destructive tendencies (dark characteristics) of each leader, and how these tendencies affect the organization
- A comparison of how each leader rewards employees, and how effective the reward systems are
- An analysis of which leadership theory best describes each leader and the reasons why you selected the leadership theory based on research
- Your paper must be 8–10 pages in length, not counting the required title, abstract, and reference pages.
- You must back up your analysis with at least six references not used as required or recommended readings in this course. The CSU-Global Library is a good place to find these sources. You may also use additional credible sources including newspapers, trade journals, government reports, and white papers. You may not use Wikipedia in any CSU-Global course.
- Include a cover page denoting the paper title, your name, the course number and name, your instructor’s name, and the date you are making the submission.
- Include an outline or table of contents.
- Include a brief abstract statement summarizing your hypothesis or findings.
- Format your paper according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA. Use APA citations where appropriate, and include an APA- formatted reference page at the end.
Review the Portfolio Project Rubric for more information on how you will be graded on this assignment. Reach out to your instructor with any questions.
A&E Networks (2014, December 03). Howard Schultz. Retrieved March 19, 2018, from https://www.biography.com/people/howard-schultz-21…
In this nonfiction biography based on Howard Schultz, A&E give a synopsis of how a man who use to sell coffee makers became the director of retail operations for a small coffee company that started in Seattle and has grown into one of the biggest coffee retailers in the world today.
The Biography shows many characteristics of leadership and how Schultz was ahead of the curve when it came to the people that worked for the company as well as the leadership he has displayed to those on the outside of the company. Everything from the success of the company to political stands this reference is descriptive and well researched.
A&E Networks (2016, May 04). Carly Fiorina. Retrieved March 19, 2018, from https://www.biography.com/people/carly-fiorina-9542210
This non-fiction biography on Carly Fiorina is a synopsis on the rise and fall of a CEO who climbed the ladder through corporations and positions that are typically held for males within the telecom industry.
Through leadership traits that put her ahead of the rest of her counterparts she was tapped to become the CEO of Hewlett-Packard. This well researched biography shows how her hardnosed leadership style and how the moral of the employees took a large hit ultimately causing her to resign.
Coulson, C. (2016, February 16). PSY 532: Foundations of Leadership (Dobbs). Retrieved March 19, 2018, from http://sites.psu.edu/leaderfoundationsdobbs/2016/02/12/howard-schultz-blending-leadership-approaches-at-starbucks/
This article from Penn State University is a well published article that give a look inside the leadership styles of Howard Schultz and how he used them to make the Starbucks company as successful as it is today.
The article gives in detail the many leadership roles that Schultz took on. The article investigates the influences that have driven Schultz to become the leader that he is today. This article is relevant since Schultz took an interest in the people that worked for the company and made it what it is today. His value in employees as well as the ability to identify the qualities of great people have made him one of the most influential leaders. The article shows that Schultz prides himself on five different leadership traits that consist of intelligence, self-confidence, determination, integrity, and sociability.