Introduction: Sometimes a picture (photograph) can be worth a thousand words. Pictures/photographs can also deceive depending on the conditions under which they are taken or portrayed. Environmental compliance and enforcement depends on pictures from photographs to portray observed pollution and illegal activity. They are used as evidence in enforcement cases including many other items such as water, soil and/or air samples, written log narratives and inspection reports.
Direction: For this Assignment, study the attached photos of apparent pollution and answer the following questions for each photo:
- What media (ie. Surface water, groundwater, soil) is/are potentially being negatively impacted?
- Do you believe that the pollution is from a point source or non-point source of pollution and how would you determine which?
- What pollutants do you suspect are involved and what are the negative impacts to the environment?
- What pollution process might be occurring?
- How can this pollution be abated? Prevented?